Adaptive Assistant for the 2020/2021 Ski Season
This position is designed for people interested in learning and gaining knowledge in the adaptive snowsports and recreation industries. Adaptive Assistants will be trained both on snow and indoors on disabilities, assist with adaptive skiing instruction and become educated on equipment before and during the ski season.
Ideal candidates are those who are looking to develop the skills and knowledge to become adaptive and/or alpine ski instructors or to gain the necessary experience to work in the adaptive recreation, adventure tourism, snowsports and ski resort industries.
What to expect as an Adaptive Assistants:
- Assist adaptive ski pros on Challenge Aspen ski lessons
- Be an on snow buddy/guide for participants
- Visually impaired ski guiding
- Attendance of all required trainings
- Be a positive role model and ambassador of Challenge Aspen
- Assist REC camps and Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities retreats
- Provide equipment maintenance and repair if needed
- Assistance with administrative projects as needed
- Facilitate additional activities for Challenge Aspen participants and families
- Must be 21 or older by November 18th, 2020.
- Ability to commit to entire ski season from November 21st, 2020 through April 19th, 2021.
- Intermediate to advanced skiing ability (level 6 required). Adaptive Assistants amust be able to confidently ski on all groomed blue terrain.
- Interest in learning the techniques required to teach adaptive and/or alpine skiing.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred, but not required.
- Able to fulfill physical requirements of the job; able to lift 50 lbs
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to commit to continuing education programs throughout the ski season such as trainings and clinics.
- Professional at all times with a high degree of customer service.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors, often times in snowy conditions with below zero temperatures.
- Adaptable and flexible. Often times this job requires working many days in a row as well as day-of assignments and changes.
- Have a sense of humor!
- Rent controlled housing in Aspen, Colorado (if needed)
- Pay: $80 for full day (6hrs) worked/$40 for half day (3hrs) worked
- Paid training from knowledgeable adaptive industry professionals
- A four mountain Aspen/Snowmass ski pass (Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk Mountain, Snowmass Mountain)
- The Roaring Fork Transit Authority operates a free bus system between Aspen and Snowmass, with a bus stop steps from available housing
- Work in a rewarding field making a difference in people’s lives
- A casual, fun, and empowering work culture
- Spend the winter in Aspen, Colorado
Testimonials from past Adaptive Assistants:
“I am extremely grateful for the experiences, challenges, and opportunities that everyone afforded me every day at work. I gained new perspectives and because of that, I matured as a person.”
“The best thing about being an adaptive assistant was absolutely the participants- they were SO inspiring, driven, and creative in the ways in which they overcome and persevere.”
“I genuinely looked forward to coming into work every single day. Being a part of an organization that shares the same mission to put the ability back into disability was the best reason to get up and get after it every day.”