Are you interested in making a difference?
Challenge Aspen is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Snowmass Village, Colorado dedicated to impacting lives by presenting meaningful recreational, educational, and cultural experiences to individuals with cognitive and/or physical disabilities.
Adaptive Assistant for the 2021/2022 Ski Season
This position will re-open for the 2021/2022 season in the fall of 2021, please check back.
This position is designed for people interested in learning and gaining knowledge in the adaptive snowsports and recreation industries. Adaptive Assistants will be trained both on snow and indoors on disabilities, assist with adaptive skiing instruction and become educated on equipment before and during the ski season.
Ideal candidates are those who are looking to develop the skills and knowledge to become adaptive and/or alpine ski instructors or to gain the necessary experience to work in the adaptive recreation, adventure tourism, snowsports and ski resort industries.
- Assist adaptive ski pros on Challenge Aspen ski lessons
- Be an on snow buddy/guide for participants
- Visually impaired ski guiding
- Attendance of all required trainings
- Be a positive role model and ambassador of Challenge Aspen
- Assist REC camps and Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities retreats
- Provide equipment maintenance and repair if needed
- Assistance with administrative projects as needed
- Facilitate additional activities for Challenge Aspen participants and families
- Must be 21 or older by November 18th, 2021.
- Ability to commit to entire ski season from November 21st, 2021 through April 19th, 2022.
- Intermediate to advanced skiing ability (level 6 required). Adaptive Assistants and must be able to confidently ski on all groomed blue terrain.
- Interest in learning the techniques required to teach adaptive and/or alpine skiing.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred, but not required.
- Able to fulfill physical requirements of the job; able to lift 50 lbs
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Willingness to commit to continuing education programs throughout the ski season such as trainings and clinics.
- Professional at all times with a high degree of customer service.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors, often times in snowy conditions with below zero temperatures.
- Adaptable and flexible. Often times this job requires working many days in a row as well as day-of assignments and changes.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Rent controlled housing in Aspen, Colorado (if needed)
- Pay: $80 for full day (6hrs) worked/$40 for half day (3hrs) worked
- Paid training from knowledgeable adaptive industry professionals
- A four mountain Aspen/Snowmass ski pass (Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk Mountain, Snowmass Mountain)
- The Roaring Fork Transit Authority operates a free bus system between Aspen and Snowmass, with a bus stop steps from available housing
- Work in a rewarding field making a difference in people’s lives
- A casual, fun, and empowering work culture
- Spend the winter in Aspen, Colorado
Testimonials from past Adaptive Assistants
Due to COVID-19, Challenge Aspen will not be hiring summer interns in 2021. Please check back for 2022 information!
Challenge Aspen is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization in Snowmass Village, CO dedicated to impacting lives by presenting meaningful recreational, educational and cultural experiences to individuals faced with cognitive and/or physical disabilities.
During the summer, Challenge Aspen hosts REC (Recreational, Educational, and Cultural) camps and CAMO (Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities) retreats. During these outings, participants partake in the various outdoor recreation activities that the Roaring Fork Valley has to offer. These activities include rafting, fishing, biking, sailing, hiking, climbing, archery, equine therapy, swimming and music therapy. Each activity is adapted to meet the individual needs of each participant.
Challenge Aspen will be hiring interns for the 2022 summer season. This internship is designed for people who desire to gain knowledge and experience in the adaptive recreation industry.
Summer interns will assist individuals with disabilities in a variety of recreational, educational, and cultural activities. Interns will be involved in all summer programming but will also assist the REC Director and Coordinator on specific program planning. Summer interns will also have the opportunity to work with our CAMO Program as well as assist with fundraising events and our annual gala.
*Challenge Aspen does have a CTRS on staff, but at this time a Therapeutic Recreation internship is not available for NCTRC credit.
For questions regarding the summer internship, please contact Callie Dickson at email@example.com or 970-923-0578