Challenge Aspen Adaptive Skiing Apprentice Pro
The Adaptive Skiing Apprentice Pro (AP) will facilitate an exceptional on-hill experience for skiers with physical and/or cognitive disabilities. APs assist adaptive ski professionals conducting lessons and work as a ski buddy or guide for our disabled participants.This position is designed for people interested in learning and gaining knowledge in the adaptive snowsports and recreation industries.
To qualify, applicants must be strong skiers with equally strong customer service skills, but no other specialized knowledge is required. Challenge Aspen offers paid adaptive skiing job training, a competitive salary, rent-controlled housing, and a four-mountain premier ski pass.
- Facilitate a professional and enjoyable on-hill adaptive skiing experiences for Challenge Aspen participants
- Assist with REC and Challenge Aspen Military Opportunities (CAMO) programs as needed
- Learn and adhere to Challenge Aspen policies and safety procedures
- Be a role model for excellence in all aspects of representation of Challenge Aspen
- Assist Adaptive Sports Director with equipment maintenance
- Assist with administrative projects as needed
- Must be 21 or older
- Intermediate to advanced skiing skills
- Ability to fulfill the physical requirements of the job, including the ability to lift 50lbs. or more
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional at all times and high customer service focused strong customer service skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Ability to commit to the entire ski season
- Ability to attend early season training session and willingness to participate in continuing education programs throughout the ski season
- Willingness to work long hours outdoors, often in below zero temperatures and snowy conditions
- Comport yourself as an ambassador of Challenge Aspen
- Deliver the highest quality on-hill experiences for Challenge Aspen participants
- Motivated, collegial, dependable and professional team member
- Maintain a standard of fitness suitable for this position
- Employment Term: November 15, 2017 through April 20, 2018
- Competitive Salary: $75 full day/$37.50 half day
- Full day: 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Half day: 9:00am – 12:00pm or 12:30pm – 3:30pm
- Paid training from knowledgable adaptive skiing industry professionals
- Rent controlled housing is available in Aspen, Colorado
- Four-mountain ski pass (Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk Mountain, Snowmass Mountain)
- Access to industry pro deals
*Challenge Aspen is no longer accepting applications for the 2017-2018 Winter Apprentice Pro Position*
For questions or information, contact Sam Lovstad at firstname.lastname@example.org
Frequently Asked Questions for Winter Apprentice Pros
Challenge Aspen’s Apprentice Pro program runs November 15th, 2017 – April 20th 2018. Our AP’s need to be able to commit this whole time frame, as we will not be able to give any extended time off to our winter interns.
We will be hiring 7 Apprentice Pros for the 2017/2018 winter season.
We are located in Snowmass Village, CO in the Snowmass Village Mall, which is about 10 miles outside of Aspen, CO.
$75 for a full day worked and $37.50 for a half day worked. In addition, our Apprentice Pros will receive a full four-mountain ski pass.
The housing that we are able to provide for our Apprentice Pros is at the Burlingame apartments in Aspen. Burlingame is located equidistant from Aspen and Snowmass Village across from Buttermilk Mountain. The apartments are located conveniently on the bus line to and from Aspen and Snowmass Village. Each apartment is a furnished two bedroom, one bath unit, with a small kitchen. Tenants will be responsible for paying their own rent, which is approximately $600/month excluding cable and internet. Tenants will also be required to pay a security and damage deposit prior to moving in.
Apprentice Pros will be working full day lessons (9:00am – 3:00pm) and half day lessons (9:00am – 12:00pm or 12:30pm – 3:30pm). It is difficult to forecast schedules as work is determined based on staffing needs, which changes daily. During peak times, AP’s may be working up to 10 days in a row. During slower times, AP’s may be working 2-3 times per week. Challenge Aspen makes every effort to allow Apprentice Pros a satisfactory number of hours each week to support themselves. In addition, we make every effort to allow an adequate number of days off. It is imperative that AP’s are flexible and understanding with their schedules, knowing that changes happen, and they may also be called upon day-of for staffing needs.
Our Apprentice Pros are our main support for all our on-hill activities. They will be assisting adaptive pros on lessons, working one-on-one with our participants, or in a group setting during our camps and military retreats.
Challenge Aspen does not provide Apprentice Pros employee health insurance. If injured while working for Challenge Aspen, AP’s may be eligible for workers compensation upon review. Having one’s own personal insurance policy is highly suggested.
No, Challenge Aspen does not offer H-2B or J-1 Visas.
As a seasonal employee, Challenge Aspen does not offer any health, dental, or retirement benefits. Apprentice Pros will receive a Aspen/Snowmass ski pass and have access to discounted industry pro deals.
We depend on our Apprentice Pros as vital support to Challenge Aspen’s programming during the winter, therefore we will need them to commit to the duration of the position, and won’t be able to let our AP’s take off any extended periods of time. As we are in a resort and destination environment and industry, holidays are our peak times and will need all Apprentice Pros to be available during those times.
It is acceptable for Apprentice Pros to seek and obtain additional evening employment to support themselves. However, it is REQURED that Challenge Aspen related work is the number one priority of our Apprentice Pros and that secondary employment WILL NOT interfere with their duties through Challenge Aspen.
Although Apprentice Pros may bring their own car, it is not required and is even discouraged. Anyone with their own vehicle will be required to pay extra for a parking pass at the housing that we provide (said parking passes are limited as well). There is a free bus that runs between Aspen and Snowmass Village and is very convenient.